side a. watching the stone of celestial flaw rush down.
side b. in a realm of wander behold the fleeting shadows exclaim in delight.
side c. for seconds he felt the grandeur of devastation.
side d. together we transcend into this wreckage called heart.
Jon Westwood, illustrator from Ontario.
We can ask ourselves later why the fanatic specialism of the Phoenicians,
which hacked the alphabet out of the hieroglyphic culture, did not release any further intellectual or artistic activity in them.
Meantime, it is relevant to note that Cicero, the encyclopedic synthesizer of the Roman world, when surveying the Greek world, reproves Socrates for having been the first to make a split between mind and heart.
The pre-Socratics were still mainly in a non-literate culture. Socrates stood on the border between that oral world and the visual and literate culture. But be wrote nothing. The Middle Ages regarded Plato as the mere scribe or amanuensis of Socrates. And Aquinas considered that neither Socrates nor Our Lord committed their teaching to writing because the kind of interplay of minds that is in teaching is not possible by means of writing.
Index and credits:
1. NASA satellite image shows Iceland. (AFP Photo Handout-NASA)
2. Air Force One’s shadow is seen as on a frozen Lake Erie as it transports US President Barack Obama to Cleveland-Hopkins International Airport. (Brendan Smialowski / Getty Images)
3. A train passes through a tunnel in the rocks as people walk the foot-path “El Caminito del Rey” (King’s little path) a narrow walkway hanging and carved on the steep walls of a defile in Ardales near Malaga (AFP Photo / Jorge Guerrero)
4. An Iranian woman walks past a wall in Tehran. (Behrouz Mehri / Getty Images)
5. An Indian widow dances as they celebrate Holi or “festival of colors” in Vrindavan (Roberto Schmidt / AFP / Getty Images)
6. The Villarrica volcano, near Villarrica in southern Chile, shows some activity. (Martin Bernetti / AFP / Getty Images)
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.