Iceland is the Great Kingdom of photographers and videomakers. Sverrir Thorolfsson is one of them.
He spreads his secret skills in all these waste and majestic lands, collecting moments and amplifying atmospheres.
It is possible to think the same of the universe. Without an eternity, without a sensitive secret mirror of what passes through every soul, universal history is lost time, and along with it our personal history – which rather uncomfortably makes ghosts of us. (J.L.B.)5 hearts
Index and credits:
1. A member of an expedition group stands on the edge of a newly formed crater on the Yamal Peninsula. (Vladimir Pushkarev / Reuters)
2. An aerial view of roads as mining trucks travel, Los Andes Mountain range, near Santiago. (Ivan Alvarado / Reuters)
3. Competitors race in the Men’s RS-One Windsurfing class during the 2014 Asian Beach Games at Karon Beach in Phuket, Thailand. (Cameron Spencer / Getty Images)
4. Saudis walk during the opening ceremony of the 22nd Gulf Cup football tournament (Karim Sahib / AFP / Getty Images)
5. Ghost statues by artist Jakub Hadrava are placed at the St. George’s church near Plzen in Lukova, Czech Republic. ((Matej Divizna / Getty Images)
João Ruas (born 1981) is a visual artist from São Paulo, Brazil.
João Ruas paints a haunting world inhabited by enigmatic figures and regal beasts awash in a maelstrom of mysterious energies. His explorations of the darker realms of the spirit evoke states of emotional turmoil, spiritual hunger and troubled passion.
Weaving together history, mythology and cryptic symbolism in a misty dreamscape where twilight is ever at hand and the bounds of gravity seem optional, he describes an ethereal mythos that is somehow deeply personal and disquietingly universal at the same time.6 hearts
This video was created with the IBM PC version of 3D Construction Kit a software by Incentive Software from 1991. The software is also known as Virtual Reality Studio.
The sequences were captured in DOSBox and later recorded on VHS and routed through different old video manipulation devices, some of them circuit bent.
This typeface is primarily designated for the setting of belles-lettres. The regular styles are balanced to suit small text sizes and enable the reading of long portions of text. The development of the typeface was guided by the goal of creating a contemporary, discreet book serif, with modern expression and numerous functions.
Letters feature reduced contrast, the lighter styles may evoke wired letters, while the heavier ones bear distinct slab serif references. The extremes thus work in harmony and fulfill the demanding requirements of advertising and magazine layout. The typeface is suitable for bottle labels, invitations, exhibition catalogues and posters, for printed and online presentations alike.
The name Pepone was chosen as an homage to Josef Kroutvor.5 hearts
Ry Cuming, aka RY X, with his latest precious stone sculpted for human beings.
Four-piece alternative rock band from North London Wolf Alice. Recommended for cloudy days and noisy bosses.
Shivum Sharma flattenes the waves so you can focus on that flicker again.3 hearts