Jon Westwood, illustrator from Ontario.
We can ask ourselves later why the fanatic specialism of the Phoenicians,
which hacked the alphabet out of the hieroglyphic culture, did not release any further intellectual or artistic activity in them.
Meantime, it is relevant to note that Cicero, the encyclopedic synthesizer of the Roman world, when surveying the Greek world, reproves Socrates for having been the first to make a split between mind and heart.
The pre-Socratics were still mainly in a non-literate culture. Socrates stood on the border between that oral world and the visual and literate culture. But be wrote nothing. The Middle Ages regarded Plato as the mere scribe or amanuensis of Socrates. And Aquinas considered that neither Socrates nor Our Lord committed their teaching to writing because the kind of interplay of minds that is in teaching is not possible by means of writing.
Index and credits:
1. NASA satellite image shows Iceland. (AFP Photo Handout-NASA)
2. Air Force One’s shadow is seen as on a frozen Lake Erie as it transports US President Barack Obama to Cleveland-Hopkins International Airport. (Brendan Smialowski / Getty Images)
3. A train passes through a tunnel in the rocks as people walk the foot-path “El Caminito del Rey” (King’s little path) a narrow walkway hanging and carved on the steep walls of a defile in Ardales near Malaga (AFP Photo / Jorge Guerrero)
4. An Iranian woman walks past a wall in Tehran. (Behrouz Mehri / Getty Images)
5. An Indian widow dances as they celebrate Holi or “festival of colors” in Vrindavan (Roberto Schmidt / AFP / Getty Images)
6. The Villarrica volcano, near Villarrica in southern Chile, shows some activity. (Martin Bernetti / AFP / Getty Images)
2015, 31 years after its first appearance, Jovica Veljović has produced ITC New Veljovic, a completely revised edition of his first typeface, ITC Veljovic (1984).
Prof. Veljović has tapped into all the experience he has garnered over the past decades; by carefully adjusting the proportions of the characters he has provided the new typeface with a more harmonious presence. The serifs have been subtly curtailed and the letters made slightly more condensed. Some new features of ITC New Veljovic are the double-story “g” with its completely closed loop and the more open forms of the “c” and “e”.
In the italic variants, the latter is much rounder.
The new Condensed style saves considerable space when it comes to setting longer texts. The Display versions show off the striking, crystal-clear shapes of the design at their best in larger point sizes.5 hearts
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.